CEREC dentistry, or Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramic dentistry, is a method our professionals can use to create dental restoration for you. These restorations are often used to help repair any damaged teeth from injury or decay. It is faster and more convenient to use compared to traditional dental methods, and this technique can help us create a tooth that specifically fits your mouth in a fraction of the time.
Our dental professionals are able to create restorations of your teeth and mouth using CAD/CAM, which is basically a type of manufacturing that relies on computer software. The process means that the design for your restoration is made with a type of computer software and then passed to a unit that can fabricate the ceramic restoration that we place for our patients.
When can CEREC be used?
Our dental professionals can discuss when to use CEREC with you for your dental needs. Some of the things that CEREC can be used to fabricate include:
- Dental implants
- Fixed bridges
- Inlays and onlays
The computer-aided design does a great job at making the restoration fit your mouth. Not only does this make the work appear more natural, but it can improve the overall comfort of the restoration in your mouth. Because of the exact fit and the speed of delivery, many of our patients choose CEREC for its ease and benefits.
What Steps are Used with CEREC
CEREC dentistry often entails three main steps that our dentists use including:
- Our dentist will numb and prepare the tooth that needs the restoration. They can then scan the mouth to create a unique impression of your mouth.
- Our dentist will then use specialized software and the scan of your mouth to design a model of the restoration. This allows the dentist to make a mold specific for your mouth and teeth.
- The design specifications from your dental scan will ensure the restoration is created with a high degree of accuracy. Our dentist can then place the restoration and make any necessary adjustments. The restoration is bonded to your tooth, and you can leave with a beautiful new smile.
The Benefits of CEREC
There are many benefits to using CEREC dentistry, which is why many of our dental professionals like to use this method compared to some of the other options. Here are some of the benefits of CEREC dentistry. We can discuss these with you at your next dental appointment:
- Done in one day: Many dental procedures need several visits to complete. With CEREC, our dental professionals can help get the work done in one visit, giving you a better smile without all the wasted time.
- The appearance: CEREC dentistry relies on an exact mold of your mouth and tooth when creating the new piece. This ensures that it fits in well and can add a more natural look to your smile compared to traditional dentures, crowns, and bridges.
- Strength: Despite being made with computer software, the dental parts made with CEREC dentistry are strong. They resist abrasion, are sturdy, and may last longer than traditional dental work, as long as the patient takes care of them.
Our dental professionals are happy to discuss whether CEREC dentistry is right for you. While there are many potential benefits, there are a few patients who may not want to use this technology. If there is a specific material that needs to be used in your restoration, the CEREC method may limit some of your choices and not work. The costs of this restoration is often higher and some patients may decide it is not for them.
At Dental Group of Simi Valley in Simi Valley, CA, we are here to help our patients understand all your dental needs. There are many new technological advances in dentistry that it is hard for many of our patients to know which option to choose. Our dentists are here to answer all your questions and help you choose the right choice for you.
Contact us today to set up your dental appointment so you can leave our office with confidence and a brand new smile!